Become A Volunteer
Volunteers change lives forever
From organising fundraising drives to checking and assembling the wheelchairs or knitting rugs and toys for our recipient children, our volunteers perform varied roles across our organisation— allowing us to minimise manufacturing and administrative costs and channel 100% of our funding towards our mission.
But it’s about more than costs. Essential to our organisation is fostering a sense of purpose, comradeship and belonging for our senior volunteers, many of whom report it is a ‘life-changing’ experience. Indeed, our lengthy waitlist to volunteer is testament to this.
Our volunteers work across three groups:
- Manufacturing group: Approximately 250 volunteers in shifts of 50 per day attend the workshop, together manufacturing a total of 300 wheelchairs per month
- Work from home group: A working group of up to 550 volunteers work from their own place of residence to cut and sew covers for the wheelchair seat back and restraint cushions, crocheting, knitting and sewing individual knee rugs and the knitting and sewing of soft toys.
- Back office group: a number of administrative volunteers work in our factory office assisting with a range of activities including financial administration, procurement, warehousing, dispatch, website maintenance and promotions.
Why do people volunteer for Wheelchairs for Kids?
The emotional and health benefits of volunteering for the elderly are well-documented, with studies showing that elderly volunteers have:
- Decreased risk of cognitive disabilities, including dementia
- Fewer physical disabilities
- Higher levels of wellbeing
- Lower rates of depression
- Increased physical fitness
Turning passion into action
It’s thanks to the ingenuity and dedication of our volunteers that we have helped more than 46,000 children since our inception in 1998. But with an estimated 10 million children worldwide still in need of a wheelchair, there is much work to be done.
Contact us to learn how you can get involved today.